Many of us are just coming off the holiday season refreshed because we have had some time off from work and time to be with our family and friends. Although the holidays can be an exhausting whirlwind of activity, the break from our normal daily routine is a good thing. Often this short break gives us a new perspective on our jobs, our relationships, and our lives, and we are able to then approach 2009 with gusto and sometimes a new direction.
Taking a break from our normal routine is important to re-fuel our passion and purpose in life. The holidays create a natural break, but how many of us recognize when we need to take a break other times in our lives? The drive to succeed can wear us down over time and giving ourselves permission to take some time to reflect and rejuvenate can be just what the doctor ordered.
The advantages of taking some time for ourselves are many.
- We nurture ourselves by catching up on sleep, eating well, and exercising. The importance of a good sound sleep cannot be over emphasized for our health and well-being. When we get off the merry-go-round of life for a while, we are once again in touch with our physical being and more mindful of how we fuel our bodies. It’s a physical tune up.
- We spend time meditating, reflecting, relaxing, and nurturing our mental and emotional health. Writing in a journal, creating a gratitude list, morning pages are all excellent ways to re-connect with your spiritual side and your creativity. Take long walks and re-connect with nature. Feel your presence in the universe.
- For those of us who are Type “A” personalities, just “being” gives us time to think about what direction we are taking in our lives and if, perhaps, we need to alter our focus and our path. Often, we are so focused on the goal, we can’t see the forest for the trees. This is a great time to re-think where we are headed with our businesses and our careers. Taking a break brings great clarity. If we re-connect with our original intentions, we have more energy to move forward. If we create a new path and new intentions, we also come away with renewed energy and a fresh start.
Of course, in the perfect world, we would do all of these activities to
nurture ourselves everyday. But the reality is that many of us do not
routinely do this and we simply need to take a break to catch up with
ourselves every so often.
How do you know when you need to take a break?
- You are mentally and physically exhausted. Maybe you are physically out of shape and gaining weight, getting sick too often.
- You don’t have your normal energy and passion for your job and your business.
- You are stuck or blocked in some way from moving forward in your business and your life.
- You are feeling unusually down about yourself and are looking for a new direction.
When you recognize the need to take a break, give yourself permission to do so. Hop off the merry-go-round for a quick tune up and you’ll emerge refreshed, energized, and ready to take on the challenges that life has to offer with a renewed purpose.